New study (in mice) shows fast food makes the immune system more aggressive in a detrimental way.
- The immune system reacts similarly to a high sugar, high (unhealthy) fat and high calorie diet as to a bacterial infection.
- Unhealthy food seems to make the body’s defenses (innate immune system) more aggressive in the long term. Even long after switching to a healthy diet, inflammation towards innate immune stimulation is more pronounced.
- These changes may be involved in the development of arteriosclerosis and diabetes.
- These changes are due to alterations in gene transcription (up-regulation of genes associated with inflammation)
- This up regulation of pro-inflammatory genes persists even after converting to a healthier diet.
Read more at News from IRT
Here: Fast food makes the immune system more aggressive in the long term: Study shows that even after a change to a healthy diet, the body’s defenses remain hyperactive — ScienceDaily
And here Western Diet Triggers NLRP3-Dependent Innate Immune Reprogramming: Cell
This study is an example of epigenetics, where an environmental factor (diet) alters the expression of genes. We know that regular consumption of a variety of colorful vegetables mediates many beneficial effects and part of that process involves altering the transcription of many genes related to health and our ability to defend against Oxidative Stress .
The epigenetic effect of nutrition can be transmitted to the next generation.
The epigenetic effects of diet include many aspects of health including cancer risk.
And epigenetic changes in humans can begin before birth in response to maternal nutrition and maternal exposure to environmental toxins .
Diet also effects the gut microbiome, which in turn affects health .
So avoid fast food and other forms of processed-refined foods. Eat a whole foods-ancestral diet that includes a variety of organic colorful vegetables and fruits, grass fed/finished meats and wild seafood. This will not only provide important micro and macro nutrients but will also turn up and turn on genes that prevent disease.
Live clean, sleep well, laugh and love.