I just watched a great talk given by mycology researcher Paul Stamets. Paul discusses the use of mushroom extracts as adjunctive treatment for various cancers. In addition he discusses his discovery that bees obtain anti-viral protection from consuming mushroom mycelia found in dead trees, providing an insight into the great threat of bee population loss. Here is the link to his talk:
Paul discusses the importance of maintaining old growth forests as a source for botanical and mushroom based medications and addresses many issues related to biodiversity and ecology.
If you like this talk you will probably enjoy the documentary Fantastic Fungi. The movie is available on Netflix and through other sources such as prime video, Hulu, apple TV and google play.
Paul also gave a TED talk:
In the context of the COVID 19 pandemic I will close with the usual summary.
- Avoid alcohol consumption (alcohol wreaks havoc with your immunity)
- Get plenty of sleep (without adequate sleep your immune system does not work well )
- Follow good sleep habits
- Exercise, especially out of doors in a green space, supports the immune system
- Get some sunshine and make sure you have adequate Vitamin D levels. Supplement with Vitamin D3 to get your levels above 30 ng/ml. (read this Open Letter)
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet rich in micronutrients.
- Practice stress reduction like meditation and yoga which improves the immune system
- Eliminate sugar-added foods and beverages from your diet. These increase inflammation, cause metabolic dysfunction, and suppress immunity.
- Eliminate refined-inflammatory “vegetable oils” from your diet, instead eat healthy fat.
- Clean up your home environment and minimize your family’s exposure to environmental toxins by following recommendations at EWG.org with regards to household products, personal care products, and organic foods. (https://www.ewg.org/)
- If you are over age 12 and eligible for vaccination, consider protecting yourself and your neighbor with vaccination.
THIS WEBSITE PROVIDES INFORMATION FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. CONSULT YOUR HEALTH CARE PROVIDER FOR MEDICAL ADVICE.
Eat clean, drink filtered water, love, laugh, exercise outdoors in a greenspace, get some morning sunlight, block the blue light before bed, engage in meaningful work, find a sense of purpose, spend time with those you love, AND sleep well tonight.